10.10.2005

"Elimination Communication"

According to the Times, parents a few years from now will no longer be using diapers. They will learn to toilet-train their children when they are a few months old. The article goes on to say, "Most important, they say, is an increased emotional bond with the baby, forged by the need for the parent to pick up on subtle signs and act on them quickly. Proponents of the practice use the phrase 'elimination communication.'"

There has been some talk in the press that American Moms are too child-centric, ignoring their careers, leisure time, etc in favor of the progeny. My advice to stem the tide of insanity is the following,
"THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU LISTEN TO THE TIMES!!!"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, in this case I'd definitely suggest listening to the Times and doing more research - elimination communication is far easier than diapering for years and then potty-training your very willful toddler! Plus, EC becomes very second nature - not requiring intense, ridiculous, minute-to-minute scrutiny of the child. Just like how you know it's time for your kid to eat. It really is *that* simple, *that* second nature, and *that* laid back.

6:33 PM  
Blogger newhavenmama said...

I've been intrigued by EC for awhile, and I have a couple of friends who are mothers of toddlers who have done it with success (are you reading this Ch or R-mona?). It is interesting that the NYT is just now picking up on it. I suspect they realized just how much buzz this parenting talk is getting.

I loved Meredith Small's book Our Babies, Ourselves and was glad Dina emailed me her editorial piece her editorial piece in the NYT in response to the EC article.

And yes, I am one of those naive American moms who is too newhavenbaby-centric. Heck, I dedicated my whole Web site to him. If only the NYT would tell my story... (smile)

10:47 PM  
Blogger theyellowwallpaper said...

I read the article in the Times, as well as information from other sources on EC and the Times piece definitely glossed over how labor intensive it can be for many Moms (yes, there are always those lucky enough to have angles as babies), especially if this is not your first child.
I applaud those who are diligent enough to follow EC, but for many mothers, like those who work or balance multiple kids, I think EC is a lot to ask.
In the end, it’s great that there’s another option, but I am weary of putting yet more pressure on an already difficult job: parenting.

7:48 PM  
Blogger theyellowwallpaper said...

Hi,

The Slate just posted an interesting article on Elimination Communication you may find interesting:
http://www.slate.com/id/2128061/nav/tap1/

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home