9.23.2005

Yale Moms-to-be in the NYT

I was intrigued by the headline from this article in the NYT when I saw it from the busy (me, C, little C, and newhavenbaby vying for space) window seat at Lulu's. A gentleman sitting outside was reading it, but the fog from our baited breath on the windowpane blocked us from reading the small print. And, of course, newhavenbaby was getting restless.

The great thing about being a girl these days is that you can make your choices the way you want to make them. Our mamas and their mamas have worked hard and opened the doors to let us to decide what our priorities will be, instead of letting those awful, terrible societal pressures decide for us. Thanks ladies!

Next thing you know, Future Homemakers of America will see a revival of college chapters and more ivy league colleges will start issuing Masters degrees in Home Ec (they existed, really! My mom has one.).

Many Women at Elite Colleges Set Career Path to Motherhood [daddytypes.com]

1 Comments:

Blogger newhavenmama said...

Queenisreeni, I like that we had different perspectives on this one. Though I must say, my perspective is decidedly slanted by the fact that I have a MA degree and that my current priority is spending as much time as possible with my son.

I was actually quite tickled that this would actually be newsworthy (albeit the Style section) information. Educated women making the choice to stay home with their kids seems to hardly be something that should be surprising.

It does seem a little hasty to interpret the article as even suggesting that women shouldn't go to college because they are just going to stay home and raise babies. The goal of an education is often more personal than career-oriented, and a degree would hardly be wasted if not put to use directly in a job market.

Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home